English as a Second Language (ESL) Certification
Pennsylvania currently has a teacher shortage for “program specialist ESL” positions, which makes earning a state-approved certification all the more important.
Our ESL Certification is a part-time, PDE-approved program that utilizes readings, discussion, practical experience, and faculty experts to prepare you for the classroom or a change in career focus.
As a stand-alone certification, the program can be completed in as little as one year, or combined with our Master of Education for completion in as few as 18 months. The time to completion is up to you and your available time each semester.
To earn your Master of Education along with this certification, you must complete our three Education Core classes. The 3 credit course EDG 546 - English Language Learners in the Inclusive Classroom is also required.
Students can pursue their Master of Education + English as a Second Language (ESL) on campus in Radnor, PA.
Our theory-based ESL curriculum includes:
- Multicultural and intercultural learning
- Grammar and phonology of the English language system
- Inclusive curriculum design principles
- Informal, formative, and summative assessment protocols
- Theories of second language acquisition
- The implementation and reflective practice of ESL instructional strategies
- Development of a personal teaching portfolio
- 70 hours of theory-based fieldwork
ESL Certificate Courses (18 credits total):
- GESL 510 - Language Learning and Linguistics
- GESL 520 - Language, Culture, and Community
- GESL 530 - Assessment of English Language Learners
- GESL 540 - School Leadership, Social Justice and Advocacy
- GESL 580 - Action Research, Reflective Practice, and Portfolio Development for ESL Teachers
- GESL 590 - Practicum in Teaching and Assessment of English Language Learners