Reading Specialist Certification
Cabrini’s Reading Specialist Certification program focuses on the interrelation of reading and communication arts, as well as literacy development and programs in diverse cultural contexts.
It prepares you to identify varying levels of reading and learning success and to enter the K-12 classroom as a reading specialist or coach.
Our part-time Pennsylvania state-endorsed certification provides insights into reading and language arts from historical, sociocultural, psycholinguistic, and cognitive or information-processing perspectives.
You can pursue the reading certification as part of our Master of Education program or as a stand-alone program.
Students must complete the "Education Core Courses” to earn a Master of Education in addition to the certification.
Students can pursue their Master of Education + Reading Specialist Certification on campus in Radnor, PA.
Education Core Courses (9 credits)
- EDG 598 - Foundations of Literacy
- EDG 521 - Education and Social Policy
- EDG 501 - Educational Research
Reading Specialist Certification Courses (27 credits)
Entry-Level Courses for Certification
- EDG 522 - Creating a Community of Readers
Mid-Level Courses for Certification
Prerequisites: EDG 522
- EDG 530 - Instructional Strategies for Teaching Phonics
- EDG 541 - Instructional Strategies for Teaching Reading
- EDG 542 - Learners at Risk: Diagnostic Practicum I
- EDG 590 - Adolescent Literacy in Content Classrooms
- EDG 549 - Teaching of Writing
- EDG 615 - Internship in Literacy
Culminating Courses for Certification
Though coursework might not be completed, candidates should begin compiling documentation for Exit Portfolio.
- EDG 593 - Growth through Community
- EDG 595 - Leadership for Literacy Learning
- An exit portfolio is required.
- Specialty-area Praxis II exam for Reading Specialist (Test Code 5301): Praxis testing is a series of standardized required as part of certification.