Secondary Education Certification
In cooperation with other academic departments, students can prepare to teach a content area on the secondary level (grades 7‑12).
Majors include Communication, English (WNA), Mathematics, and Social Studies (with a concentration in History).
Students take a professional sequence of education courses and participate in secondary school field experiences.
Requirements for Secondary Education Certification
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- EDF 290 - Education Field Experience
- EDF 390 - English Language Learner Field Experience
- EDF 391 - Inclusion/Special Education Field Experience
- EDU 304 - Foundations of Education
- EDU 390 - Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Theory to Practice
- SPE 110 - Introduction to Developmental Psychology and Learning Theory
- SPE 302 - Assessment I
- SPE 320 - Instructional Strategies for Learners with Diverse Needs
- SEC 303 - Communication in Content Areas
- SEC 389 - Seminar in Secondary Education (4 credits)
- SEC 402 - Senior Field (2 credits)
- SEC 490 - Student Teaching (12 credits)
Total credits for certification: 39
- Certification credit hour requirements may cause a student to exceed degree credit hour requirements.
- Students should read the Field Experience Handbook to determine specific requirements and consult with the secondary education coordinator and the Teacher Education Department Chair.
- Education majors must meet Pennsylvania Department of Education testing requirements.
*This program is not accepting incoming students as new majors.