Educational Studies Major
The educational studies major provides students the option of completing the requirements for the bachelor of science degree in education without completing the requirements for the Pennsylvania Instructional I Teaching Certificate.
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 is required.
- A curriculum model will be provided for all applicants.
Students will substitute the appropriate internships in place of student teaching and do not participate in field experiences.
Requirements for the Educational Studies Program
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- EDU 171 - Reading and Language Arts I
- EDU 172 - Reading and Language Arts II
- EDU 304 - Foundations of Education
- EDU 308 - Classroom Management
- EDU 320 - Middle-Level (4-8) Methods
- EDU 380 - Theories and Activities I
- EDU 390 - Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Theory to Practice
- EDU 393 - Advocacy for Well-Being Seminar (1 credit)
- EDU 406 - Family, School, and Community
- ELE 281 - Teaching Social Studies and Social Justice
- ELE 381 - Curriculum Methods in Science & Health
- SPE 110 - Introduction to Developmental Psychology and Learning Theory
- SPE 302 - Assessment I
- SPE 320 - Instructional Strategies for Learners with Diverse Needs
- SPE 406 - Assessment II & Professionalism
- EDU 488/489 - Internship (6-12 credits)
- Electives from any department (12-15 credits)
Total credits for major: 65 credits
Students should plan appropriate coursework with the guidance of their adviser for this major.