Cabrini Past Presidents
Deb M. Takes (HON’14)
(Interim President 2013‑14)
Deb Takes transitioned from Chair of the Board of Trustees to Interim President in 2013, while Cabrini conducted a national search for the College’s eighth president.
During her year-long interim presidency, Takes oversaw the implementation of several new undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
She also secured doctoral degree partnerships for programs with Temple University, Thomas Jefferson University, and Widener University and created partnerships with area high schools to offer their students advanced-credit courses.
Takes expanded internship opportunities with regional employers and increased staff and services at the Center for Career and Professional Development.
She also oversaw the design and preliminary municipal approvals for the proposed Athletic and Recreation Pavilion expansion of the Dixon Center.
Marie Angelella George, PhD
Marie Angelella George, PhD, set the priority of providing students a global education focusing on academic excellence, leadership development, and social justice.
George oversaw the implementation of Justice Matters, the College’s groundbreaking core curriculum that engages all students in real-world, community-based problem solving.
During her tenure, Cabrini College doubled the number of Living and Learning Communities and developed an expanded First-Year Experience to engage incoming students.
In July 2010, George introduced the President’s Initiative on Mission Integration to promote dialogue, reflection, learning, and action within the framework of the College’s Catholic intellectual tradition and Catholic social teachings.
Antoinette Iadarola, PhD (HON’17)
(1992‑2008) President Emerita
During the tenure of Antoinette Iadarola, PhD, Cabrini experienced tremendous growth.
Undergraduate enrollment increased from 732 to 1,700, and the number of resident students tripled, to about 1,000.
The endowment and annual operating budget increased exponentially, and Cabrini saw $100 million in capital improvements.
Cabrini raised its regional and national profile among Catholic, co‑educational colleges.
New and renovated buildings during her tenure included the Dixon Athletic Center, Founder’s Hall, the Bruckmann Chapel, several residence halls, the Edith Robb Dixon Field, and the Center for Science, Education, and Technology (now the Iadarola Center).
Eileen Currie, MSC (’66, HON'17)
(1982‑92) President Emerita
Groundbreaking curriculum change came during Sister Eileen’s tenure, when the faculty voted to make community service a requirement.
Cabrini was recognized as one of the first colleges in the country, and the first in Pennsylvania, to integrate community service into the core curriculum.
Enrollment climbed to 720 undergraduates, with 300 more in master’s programs and the Continuing Education Division.
A new degree-completion program called Cabrini Organizational Management Program was a success for adult learners.
Mary Louise Sullivan, MSC, PhD (’63, HON'17)
(1972‑82) President Emerita
During Sister Mary Louise’s tenure, the College grew rapidly.
Student activities and athletic programs expanded, including a Black Student Union, International Club, co-ed Athletic Association, service programs, women’s volleyball team, and men’s basketball team.
Construction began for seven new student residences, or houses, and Cabrini’s first student-activity building, the Widener Center, opened.
New academic areas were developed, including English and Communications, psychology and social science departments, and the College received approval to begin its first master’s degree program, in education.
Sister Mary Louise served as a trustee and professor at Cabrini after her presidency, before passing away in 2017.
Regina Casey, MSC (HON'17)
(1969‑72) President Emerita
Sister Casey was responsible for substantial advances in the student body and in adult education.
In 1970, male students were admitted. In 1971, Cabrini’s Evening Division opened, aimed at working men and women.
In 1972, Cabrini became the only suburban college to participate in the federal Career Opportunities Program, through which older students earned degrees.
Sister Regina then was appointed Superior General of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
She resided in New York until her January 2019 passing.
Gervase Lapadula, MSC
Sister Gervase established the College’s first development department.
In 1969, Cabrini’s first fundraising ca mpaign raised $5,000.
Sister Gervase dedicated Woodcrest, the College’s first modern residence hall.
During Cabrini’s first years, the Mansion served as dormitory for the students.
Barbara Leonardo, MSC
(Acting President, 1967–68)
Sister Barbara Leonardo, MSC, was acting president from 1967 to 1968, after Mother Ursula announced her retirement as Cabrini College’s founding president.
Sister Barbara initiated the Office of Public Relations during her presidency and welcomed the first lay members to Cabrini’s Board of Trustees.
Sister Barbara initially came to Cabrini in 1958 as a faculty member in the History Department. She taught for five years before becoming academic dean in 1963.
She served in this position for several years and was then called to serve in educational administration in California, New York, and New Orleans.
In 1967, Sister Barbara returned to Cabrini, serving again as academic dean until she was named acting president.
Sister Barbara resided in New York until her death in March 2016.
Ursula Infante, MSC
Sister Ursula Infante first visited Woodcrest Estate in 1954, and became founding president of Cabrini College in 1957, with 43 students in the first class.
Sister Ursula dedicated Cabrini’s first buildings, including Sacred Heart Hall (now Founder’s Hall), the Bruckmann Memorial Chapel, and the Holy Spirit Library.
Sister Ursula remained active within the College community until her death in 2001 at age 104.