hero-angle-alpha hero-angle-beta icon-rss-square icon-instagram icon-rss icon-facebook icon-facebook-square icon-facebook-official icon-twitter icon-twitter-square icon-google-plus icon-google-plus-square icon-linkedin icon-linkedin-square icon-pinterest icon-pinterest-square icon-youtube icon-youtube-square icon-youtube-play icon-search icon-gift icon-graduation-cap icon-home icon-bank icon-envelope icon-envelope-square Cabrini Logo Cabrini Logo icon-chevron-right icon-chevron-left category academics category athletics category just for fun category service and mission category living on campus category profiles category advice category activities and events Cabrini University logo with crest
Return Home


Students in Jazzman's Cafe

Six States That Allow You to Transfer Financial Aid to Pennsylvania Colleges

Posted on 12/19/2017 3:56:45 PM by Office of Admissions

Out-of-state residents who want to attend college in Pennsylvania may have more financial aid opportunities than they think.

Considering a Pennsylvania college, but cringing at the out-of-state price tag? There may be a financial aid option that you hadn’t considered—or even knew existed—that can help lower your costs.

Some states have reciprocal agreements with Pennsylvania that allow you to receive a state grant while attending a Pennsylvania university. This year, reciprocal states include Delaware, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Ohio, Vermont, and West Virginia.

Here’s a quick breakdown of each state’s eligibility requirements.


Through the Scholarship Incentive Program, you may be able to receive $1,000 annually up to five years if you attend college in Pennsylvania—with a catch. The school you attend must be a nonprofit, regionally accredited college, and the undergraduate or graduate program you choose to study must be a program that is not also offered at the University of Delaware, Delaware State University, or Delaware Technical Community College.

Students must also:

  • Be legal residents of Delaware
  • Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens
  • Demonstrate substantial financial need, as determined using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Have a minimum cumulative unweighted Grade Point Average of 2.5 on a 4.00 scale

Deadline: April 15, 2018


District of Columbia

Students who live in DC may be eligible to receive up to $2,500 per year up to five years at a PA college through the DC Tuition Assistance Grant. Students must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have been a DC resident for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the applicant’s first time in college (dependent students’ domicile is established through the parent)
  • Have no defaulted status with federal student loans
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or high school equivalency
  • Be accepted for enrollment in or working toward a first undergraduate degree at least half-time
  • Be in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the college/university of enrollment
  • Be 26 years old or younger

Deadline: Application is open Feb. 1, 2018, through June 30, 2018


The Massachusetts Assistance for Student Success Program offers financial assistance up to eight semesters in a four-year undergraduate program at any state-approved public, private, independent, nonprofit institution in PA that awards associate and bachelor’s degrees.

Students must be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the opening of the academic year and U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. Students must also:

  • Be in compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements
  • Have no defaulted federal or state loans
  • Have no owed refunds on any previously received federal or state financial aid
  • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the federal methodology need analysis criteria
  • Have a documented expected family contribution (determined after completion of the FAFSA) between $0-$5,328
  • Enroll as a full-time undergraduate student
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in accordance with institutional and federal standards

Deadline: May 1, 2018



The Ohio College Opportunity Grant is available to Ohio residents in an associate degree program, first bachelor’s degree program, or nursing diploma program with an Expected Family Contribution of $2,190 or less (as determined through your Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA]) and a maximum household income of $96,000. Grants up to $3,072 were available for the 2017–18 academic year.

Deadline: Oct.1 each year



The Vermont Student Assistance Corporation offers the Vermont Incentive Grant to Vermont residents who are accepted or enrolled full time in an undergraduate degree or certificate program in PA. One of the more generous reciprocal programs, students may receive up to 10 semesters of full-time grants until earning their first bachelor’s degree and in 2017–18, awards ranged from $850 up to $12,500.

Grant amounts are determined by financial need, total cost of attendance at your college of choice, and timing (applications are considered on first-come, first-served basis as long as funding is available). 

Students can apply using the link provided after submitting the FAFSA, or through the VSAC website.

Deadline:  No published deadline, but awarded on first-come, first-served basis


West Virginia

West Virginia offers its residents need-based financial aid through the West Virginia Higher Education Grant (up to $2,700 annually) that is renewable until the student’s course of study is completed (up to four years) to students who want to attend college in Pennsylvania. Eligible students must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Have at least one year of West Virginia residency prior to date of application
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or high school equivalency
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Demonstrate academic promise
  • Enroll at a participating institution (public or independent) in West Virginia or Pennsylvania as a full-time undergraduate student
  • Have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree

Deadline:  April 15, 2018


Get the most out of the financial aid and scholarships available to you. Always start with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before exploring other options.

If you think Cabrini University might be a good fit for you, talk with our Financial Aid Staff to explore scholarship and aid options.