Religious Studies Program Details
The Department of Religious Studies offers courses which chronicle and analyze religion as text, ritual, people, place, service, institution, organized structure, and revelation. It is particularly strong in its course offerings and research opportunities for work in American religion and American Roman Catholicism.
Students who major in Religious Studies work closely with the faculty throughout their program, and in their senior year, students complete a major capstone course that involves independent reading, research, and writing about a project of their choice.
This project will show a mastery of a specific subject area, as well as methodological rigor in the study of religion.
- Major or minor option
- Work closely with faculty throughout the program
- Senior capstone project demonstrates a mastery of content
The Religious Studies major will prepare you for graduate school or a career in any profession, including:
- Campus ministry
- Christian ministry
- Elementary education
- Higher education
- Hospital ministry
- Secondary education
For those who feel they possess a religious vocation, the Religious Studies major is an excellent preparation to become members of the clergy.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the Roman Catholic Church’s teachings on God, the Church, the world community, the individual, and issues related to the dignity of the human person
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the history, institutions, texts, and lived traditions of significant aspects of world Christianity
- Realize how particular Christian religious belief systems evolve and are challenged by historical and contemporary society and culture while retaining their integrity as pathways to God
- Express, through oral class participation, written examinations and essays, or formal oral presentations, a knowledge of and a critical sensibility toward course content utilizing close reading, studying, synthesizing, and assessing subject matter
*Employment projections taken from the Bureau of Labor Statistics report for employment category: Community and social service occupations.