Digital Media and Communication Program Details
Learn about the rapidly changing models and ongoing digital transformation of mass communication while you create content and develop skills across a variety of media as a Digital Media and Communication major.
Develop as an individual and hone your cooperative and leadership skills as you cultivate partnerships among video students, audio students, writers, marketing communicators, and graphic designers in the digital Communications Center and create media projects that have an audience outside the classroom in the real world.
Build your portfolio by participating in the national award-winning College newspaper and news website, the national award-winning College broadcast FM radio station, video studio, digital photography, and in marketing communication, advertising, and public relations projects, all available on campus.
Additionally, you can participate in an extensive internship program or take part in the four-year Professional Development Program, in which you’ll partner with the department faculty to identify and research potential career paths.
The Digital Media and Communication major prepares students for all communication fields and careers, including those in :
- Sports communication
- Public relations
- Social media
- Extensive internship program
- Faculty-guided Professional Development Program
- Skill development in the cutting-edge field of social media
- Communicate in multiple media
- Employ current technologies and methodologies to create communication for specific audiences for the purposes of informing, creating, and persuading in at least three of the following media: audio, video, text, design, web, social media, sound slide storytelling, and other emerging media
- Promote understanding, compassion, and action for the common good through media creations, integrating the theory, values, practices, and advocacy of social justice
- Articulate transferable and professional skills, supported by examples
- Identify and articulate transferable skills in light of research on trends in industry sectors and societal changes and provide examples
- Achieve a superior level of competency in written communication, demonstrating a clear focus/thesis aimed at fulfilling the needs of a specific audience; fully developed content supported by sound research and analysis; logical and well-structured organization; effective writing style; and appropriate conventions
- Effectively and competently manage communications projects
- Working as part of a team, develop a plan for producing and executing messages
- Demonstrate teamwork, collaboration, and cooperation using technical, social, and organizational skills
Campus Media Outlets and Affiliations
- Loquitur News Media—Digital-first news agency reporting on local, national, and global affairs
- Social Nexus—Digital and social media agency
- Cavalier Radio—Internet radio station and podcasting outlet
- House 67 Productions—Video production house (The name is a nod to Mother Cabrini who established 67 missions around the world.)
- Cabrini Sports Media—Play-by-play announcing and media production services for Cabrini Athletics
*Employment projections taken from the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook. Notes the projected percent change in employment from 2021 to 2031.