Digital Media and Communication Program Details
The Communication Department’s forward-thinking curriculum is informed by an Advisory Board of 20-plus accomplished industry professionals who represent a broad spectrum of media and communication fields. These experts advise the faculty on current trends and the latest technologies used everywhere from newsrooms to boardrooms today. They also serve as classroom speakers, networking contacts, and internship providers who are deeply invested in students’ success.
The department’s project-driven curricular and co-curricular experiences are team-based and highly inclusive of a diverse set of learners. The hands-on nature of the program means that students build strong bonds with one another, as well as with their Cabrini COM faculty and COM alumni who frequently mentor students to succeed in media and communication careers.
Another hallmark of the department is its four-year professional development program. This holistic and developmentally targeted curriculum strengthens students’ career readiness and contributes to their 95% job placement rate after graduation.
Students’ work in this department often tackles the important social issues of our time, and many of their projects win prestigious regional and national awards from organizations like the College Media Association, Columbia Scholastic Press Association, and the Pennsylvania News Media Association. Students’ solutions-oriented stories consistently impress contest judges and the public alike for their social impact and storytelling merit.
Department majors, upon graduation, are well prepared to enter graduate or professional schools or pursue a variety of target occupations in media and communication. Some of these occupations include:
- Digital and Social Media Marketer
- Digital Content Creator
- Multimedia Journalist
- Live Event/Streaming Media Producer
- Public Relations Professional
- Event Marketer
- Play-by-Play Sports Broadcaster
- Podcaster/On-Air Personality
- Be hands-on from day one building a strong and varied portfolio of work
- Build close relationships through project-based learning experiences & media agencies
- Tell stories that matter that win prestigious awards and inspire audiences to act
- Get career-ready through internships and the department’s holistic four-year Professional Development program
- Communicate ethically and responsibly in multiple media
- Produce goal-driven digital media products individually and as part of a project team
- Gather and analyze data about media users and media content to discern insights and use them for problem solving purposes
- Use media to promote understanding, compassion, and action for the common good
- Demonstrate a superior level of competency in written communication
- Exhibit professionalism and emotional intelligence through verbal and non-verbal communication