Communication Program Details
Create content and develop skills across a variety of media as a Communication major.
Develop as an individual and hone your cooperative and leadership skills as you cultivate partnerships among video students, audio students, writers, marketing communicators, and graphic designers in the digital Communications Center and create media projects that have an audience outside the classroom in the real world.
Tailor your education with a concentration in Digital Convergence, Journalism and Writing, Marketing Communication, or Visual and Sound Communication.
Build your portfolio by participating in the national award-winning College newspaper and news website, the national award-winning College broadcast FM radio station, video studio, digital photography, and in marketing communication, advertising, and public relations projects, all available on campus.
Additionally, you can participate in an extensive internship program or take part in the four-year Professional Development Program, in which you’ll partner with the department faculty to identify and research potential career paths.
Communication major students, upon graduation, are prepared to enter graduate or professional schools or careers in communication, journalism, multimedia, and marketing, such as those at:
- Radio stations
- Television stations
- Ad agencies
Communication graduates are also well-prepared to write in the fields of public relations, advertising, and technical writing, and may be certified in secondary education and prepared to teach in high school.
- Major or minor option
- Extensive internship program
- Faculty-guided Professional Development Program
- Customize your major with one of four tracks: Journalism and Writing, Visual and Sound Communication, Marketing Communication, and Digital Convergence
- Communicate in multiple media
- Employ current technologies and methodologies to create communication for specific audiences for the purposes of informing, creating, and persuading in at least three of the following media: audio, video, text, design, web, social media, sound slide storytelling, and other emerging media
- Promote understanding, compassion, and action for the common good through media creations, integrating the theory, values, practices, and advocacy of social justice
- Articulate transferable and professional skills, supported by examples
- Identify and articulate transferable skills in light of research on trends in industry sectors and societal changes and provide examples
- Achieve a superior level of competency in written communication, demonstrating a clear focus/thesis aimed at fulfilling the needs of a specific audience; fully developed content supported by sound research and analysis; logical and well-structured organization; effective writing style; and appropriate conventions
- Effectively and competently manage communications projects
- Working as part of a team, develop a plan for producing and executing messages
- Demonstrate teamwork, collaboration, and cooperation using technical, social, and organizational skills
*Employment projections taken from the Bureau of Labor Statistics report for employment category: Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations.