Mug meals are the perfect food option for college students on a budget. They're fast, simple, cheap, and require no actual cooking (yay!). While everybody has seen recipes for cookies and cakes being magically baked in a mug, here are a few out-of-the-box ideas to cure your cravings!
1. Blueberry Muffin
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- In a mug combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar
- stir in the milk and coconut oil
- place the berries on top
- to make the topping:
- crumble together the coconut oil, flour and sugar and sprinkle on top of the blueberries
- microwave on high 90 seconds
2. French Toast
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mug, melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Roll the butter around in the cup to coat it.
- In the mug whisk the egg with a fork until well blended.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the egg and add the vanilla then stir again.
- Cut or tear the bread into bite-size pieces and add to the egg mixture in the mug, pressing the bread down in to the egg.
- Let the mixture sit for a minute so the bread will soak up the egg.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until the egg is cooked through (usually takes 90 seconds total)
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Marinara Sauce
- Dried Italian herbs
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large, microwaveable mug.
- Add milk and oil and stir.
- Spread marinara on top of batter.
- Sprinkle on cheese, pepperoni, and Italian herbs.
- Microwave for 1.5 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
4. Mac n' Cheese
- a large mug
- a liquid measuring cup
- a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup
- elbow noodles
- some pre-shredded cheese
- a little milk
- Put 1/3 cup of elbow noodles into your mug.
- Add a 1/2 cup of water to it.
- Microwave this mixture until the water has evaporated (will most likely take about 4 minutes).
- Microwave it for 2 minutes to start, then stir.
- Then another minute, and stir again.
- Then a final minute and the water should be absorbed.
- If not, microwave a bit more until it is.
5. Jelly Donut
- 2 tablespoons (1oz/30g) nutter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Cinnamon sugar to garnish
Place butter into a microwavable mug and microwave until just melted. (roughly 20 seconds)
Add in the remaining ingredients; mix well with fork until just combined.
Once the batter is mixed place the spoonful of jam down into the batter.
Microwave for 45 seconds or until is firm on top.
Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.