In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 18, the Wolfington Center and Office of Student Diversity Initiatives is hosting a virtual presentation and discussion of Dr. King’s most influential speeches and works. The program will run from 11:30am to 1pm, including discussion and reflection on King’s words, as well as opportunities for carrying on his legacy of service in the community.
“Now more than ever, it is important for us to provide opportunities for our Cabrini community to engage in reflection of the life of Martin Luther King Jr., while taking up his fight for equity,” said José Rodriguez, Chief Diversity Officer. “The MLK Day of Service gives us a chance to learn from Dr. King as well as the many individuals who have carried on his legacy of spotlighting the less fortunate and exposing injustices in their communities.”
During the virtual event, faculty and staff members will read excerpts from four of Dr. King’s most impactful works: “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”; “The Other America”; “A Time to Break Silence”; and “Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution.” Open-ended discussion connecting the historical context of Dr. King’s words with the contemporary American moment will follow each reading.
Students, faculty, and staff who are interested in attending should check their email inbox for a registration link.
There are also a number of service opportunities available in which the Cabrini community can make a direct impact:
- “Hoops From The Heart” – The Cabrini, Haverford College, and Neumann University Basketball programs, along with the Haverford Township Recreation Department, are organizing a non-contact food and supply drive from 10am to 2pm on Monday at the Haverford Community Recreational & Environmental Center (9000 Parkview Drive, Haverford, PA). Please contact Jesse Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- Back to School Cards: Cradles to Crayons Philadelphia – Adults and children alike can help make colorful cards for kids returning to school in 2021, through Cradles to Crayons. Learn more here.
- AmeriCorps MLK Day of Service – AmeriCorps and the Presidential Inaugural Committee are collaborating on this MLK National Day of Service, encouraging Americans to engage in a volunteer service in honor of Dr. King. Find a volunteer opportunity here.
- Greater Philadelphia MLK Day of Service – Volunteer opportunities in the greater Philadelphia area can be viewed here. Girard College will serve as the service hub for the region and will operate as a COVID-19 testing site. You can register for a test here.
- MLK Weekend Celebration at AAMP – The African American Museum in Philadelphia is hosting a range of MLK Day programming Jan. 16-18, including MLK Morning programming for youth and family, a special virtual screening of Shuja Moore’s webseries “Walkies,” a reading by Philadelphia Poet Laureate Trapeta Mayson, virtual tours of our latest exhibition “Rendering Justice,” and special MLK keynote with “Marking Time” author, Nicole Fleetwood.
- Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (LASP) Expungement Clinic – From 1pm to 3pm on Monday, LASP in Norristown is partnering with PA Sen. Anthony Hardy Williams and PA Rep. Joanna McClinton for the 6th annual Expungement Clinic held in honor of the MLK Day of Service.