Student Diversity Initiatives—in collaboration with campus partners and student organizations such as Spectrum—sponsors special events geared towards celebrating, retaining, and developing our LGBTQIA+ students through discussions, community events, and informal mentoring opportunities.
- LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, and/or Allies)
AHLANA CommUNITY Scholars
CommUNITY Scholars is a highly structured student-retention and -success initiative developed to build and foster resiliency, self-efficacy, and cultural pride in first-generation, low-income, and other underserved populations.
- AHLANA (African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, and Native American)
This program aims to grow students’ capabilities and their capacity to become young scholars.
Through a series of bi-monthly meetings and activities, this program will engage students in meaningful experiences that will:
- Develop/strengthen their oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate and grow their capacity for successful navigation of changing circumstances (success barriers)
- Understand and acquire a tolerance for ambiguity
- Build and/or strengthen a healthy self-concept and sense of cultural pride
- Understand how their cultural identities impact their decision making in their personal and leadership development
- Integrate personal values into their leadership development and career plans
- Demonstrate skills to develop a plan towards post college career success
Do you have an idea for a diversity event or would like more information about these programs? Please contact José Rodriguez at email@example.com.