Don’t forget to back up your important data. ITR recommends saving your files to your network storage, as these folders are backed up regularly by ITR and can be accessed from any computer, unlike files on your local machine.
Available Storage Locations
OneDrive is Microsoft's cloud storage solution. All current students, faculty, and staff are provided a Microsoft Office 365 account with their Cabrini email address and password, which includes a OneDrive for Business subscription.
- The preferred personal storage for all current Cabrini members.
- Accessible at www.onedrive.com. Additional info can be found on the Microsoft Office 365 information page.
- Storage limit: 5 TB (5,000 GB)
- Ability to share files and folders with other users.
Cabrini Network Folders
These storage locations are hosted on Cabrini University's file servers. They are assigned based on a user's role in the university.
- Personal storage for current faculty, staff, and a limited number of students.
- Labeled as your Cabrini domain username (e.g., abc123).
- Storage Limit: 1 GB for students, 10 GB for faculty and staff
- Home directories are being phased out for students in favor of OneDrive. Students admitted to Cabrini after Spring of 2016 will not be receiving home directories.
- Available to a department's full-time faculty and staff.
- Labeled as your department's name (e.g., Human Resources).
- Departments may grant temporary access for student workers or part-time staff. Requests for such access must be made to ITR by the department chair, and ITR must be notified when such employees leave their employment.
- Intended for collaboration between staff and faculty members from multiple departments.
- Named after the purpose of the collaboration (e.g., Strategic Planning).
- Requests for the creation of an Interdepartmental folder, and the list of users who should have access to it, should be made by the individual intending to oversee the collaboration.
- An alternative to an Interdepartmental folder would be for one user to create a folder in OneDrive and share it with multiple users. However, this OneDrive folder would need to be self-managed by its owner.
Accessing Network Storage
OneDrive can be accessed from any computer on- or off-campus via the Office 365 Portal or www.onedrive.com using your Cabrini email address and password. Additional methods of accessing OneDrive can be found on the Microsoft Office 365 information page.
Cabrini Network Folders
The procedure for accessing Cabrini University's network folders depends on the type of computer you are using.
The home directory, departmental, and interdepartmental folders can be found in the Windows File Explorer. Click on "This PC" or "Computer" depending on your version of Windows, and the folders will be found under the "Network locations" section.
These folders are automatically "mapped" to your profile when signing into an on-campus, Cabrini-owned office or conference room computer. This feature is currently disabled on classroom and lab computers.
If you are using a classroom or lab computer where "Network Discovery" is disabled, or if you are working off-campus on a Cabrini-owned or personal computer, you will need to manually map these folders.
The home directory (for users who have one) is automatically "mapped" to your profile when signing into an on-campus, Cabrini-owned Mac computer. It will be visible as a Globe icon near the Trash Bin on your Dock, labeled as "[Your Name]'s Network Home."
If you need to access your departmental or interdepartmental folders, or if you are working off-campus on either a Cabrini-owned or personal Mac, you will need to manually map these folders.
Manually Mapping Network Folders
Note, if you are working off-campus, you will first need to start a VPN session to connect to Cabrini's network. Students will not be able to connect to their home directories off-campus or on their personal computers.
User Storage Limits
To ensure that email systems and file storage resources are available for all users, limits are established on the resources that individual users may consume. These limits ensure that no single user can cause a resource problem that affects all of us.
For students, the home directory drive quota is limited to 1 GB; for faculty and staff, 10 GB.
Anyone who is over quota will receive an email from ITR indicating this. We will allow 2 weeks from when the email is sent for one to bring his/her use within acceptable quota limits.
After the two-week grace period, ITR will run scripts to remove files from the offending shares starting with the largest files first and reducing in size until the drive is back within quota.
Please note that this data WILL BE DELETED from the server permanently. If you need help determining your file sizes, current usage, etc., please contact ITR for assistance at 610.902.8366 or ITRhelp@cabrini.edu.
For demonstrated needs in support of the mission of Cabrini University, additional space may be granted. Address requests and justifications to Information Technology and Resources at ITRhelp@cabrini.edu.