Grievances for Students with Disabilities
In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Cabrini is committed to providing equal educational opportunity and participation for qualified students with disabilities.
Students who have concerns about disability discrimination under Section 504 and ADA should take the following steps:
- Using an informal method of resolving their concerns, whenever possible, by approaching the person who is the focus of their concern or contacting the Director of the Disability Resource Center at 610.902.8572 to discuss the matter and seek resolution.
- If students prefer, they may contact the Affirmative Action Officer for Cabrini directly: the Director of Human Resources, available at 610.902.8206.
- Students must do so in writing, explaining the nature of the dispute and actions taken previously, if any, to resolve the issues.
- The student will also have the opportunity to present witnesses and other evidence.
The Affirmative Action Officer may ensure that an adequate, reliable, and impartial investigation of the complaint is conducted and may consult with the parties involved to gather additional information and, when indicated, may convene a meeting of appropriate individuals to seek resolution of the dispute.
The student will be informed, in writing, of the outcome of this process.
If the student is not satisfied, he or she may appeal the decision by:
- contacting the Dean for Academic Affairs in writing within 30 days of the date of the Affirmative Action Officer’s response
- including an explanation of the nature of the dispute, the actions previously taken to resolve it, and the response received
The Dean for Academic Affairs will review relevant information, consult with the appropriate parties when necessary, and render a decision on the student’s appeal.
The student will be informed, in writing, of the outcome of this complaint.
If the student is not satisfied, he or she may contact the Office of Civil Rights in the Philadelphia area:
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights
The Wanamaker Building, Suite 515
100 Penn Square East
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.656.8541 or 1.800.421.3481
All grievances will be processed in a timely manner, with final disposition not to exceed 180 days from the time the complaint was filed in writing with the Affirmative Action Officer.
Students are encouraged to initiate a grievance within a reasonable time period and preferably in the same semester in which the matter arose.
If documentation is not on file, the Director may require the student to submit current, relevant documentation of disability.
- Cabrini guarantees the rights of students to initiate good-faith disability discrimination grievances.
- Retaliation, reprisal, or harassment against a student filing a complaint or participating in a complaint investigation is strictly prohibited.
Campus Contact Information
- Affirmative Action Officer, 504/ADA Coordinator: 610.902.8206
- Dean for Academic Affairs: 610.902.8302
- Disability Resource Center: 610.902.8572
- Health Services: 610.902.8400
- Public Safety: 610.902.8245
- Residence Life: 610.902.8410