Interviews are handled in many different ways:
- over the phone and/or in-person
- one-on-one and/or with a group or committee
- one interview or multiple meetings
Preparation is the key! Know yourself, including:
- your strengths and weaknesses and how to reflect your weaknesses in a positive light
- what you are looking for in the position
- clear goals for yourself in relation to a career
Know yourself in relation to the position and the organization.
The employer wants to know if you can do the job, if the job is suited to your talents, and if you will fit. Relating your skills to those required for the position will go a long way toward answering those important questions.
- What are the duties of and qualifications for the position?
- Think of the skills required for the position and emphasize your skills that match.
- Be ready to give examples of how you have used those skills.
- What are your personal traits and work values that would be of interest to the employer and an asset to the organization?
- What experiences have you had that relate to the position?
- What have you learned that you can transfer to this position?
Take advantage of Interview Prep, an awesome resource that allows you to practice interviews without the pressure of someone watching.
Choose your own interview questions, hook up your webcam, and practice until you feel confident in your interviewing skills. You can even forward an interview to someone for review and feedback.
- To get started, create an account at Cabrini.InterviewPrep.App