Becoming an MRC Tutor
Interested in Tutoring?
We're always looking for empathetic students with strong study habits who are interested in supporting their peers in Math.
We consider applicants on a rolling basis, so we invite applicants at any time.
For questions that remain unanswered, or if you are interested, please contact 610.902.8506 or
What you can expect of our hiring process:
- We’ll collect and review applications from students and faculty recommendations from across the university and review those applications closely.
- We’ll contact applicants to schedule an interview.
- Shortly after the interview, selected applicants will hear from us about a decision before the current semester concludes.
What we look for in a Math Resource Center Tutor:
- An interest in and empathy for why students struggle in math.
- An awareness of how student behaviors impact student success.
- A curiosity for how learning works.
How We Make a Decision:
- Our Program’s Current Budget: Because we pay our tutors, we also have to be mindful of our resources. Unfortunately, this may mean that we may not be able to hire every suitable candidate. However, we will be transparent with our hiring process and budget in interviews.
- GPA and Grade in Target Areas: While we do have a GPA and grade cut-off on the application, we also recognize how these metrics are often a poor indicator of student success. We consider GPA and grades in coursework as part of an applicant’s portfolio, but will not use these solely to make a hiring decision.
- Applicant Availability. The Math Resource Center supports students best by offering consistent open hours. If we are hiring a peer tutor to fill a specific scheduling need, we may take potential availability into consideration.
- Our obligation to current tutors. When we hire a tutor in our program, we are committed to providing them with a meaningful professional development experience so long as they are interested in tutoring. This may mean that tutoring positions in certain subject areas will open only every few semesters as our senior tutors graduate.