Senior Capstone Project
The Senior Seminar (BIO 444/CHE 444) is a capstone course required of all students earning a degree in the Science Department at Cabrini University.
As students majoring in biology and chemistry near the completion of their junior year, they begin planning for their final year at Cabrini and contemplate the activities that will play a role in the transition from the undergraduate experience to a post-graduate career or professional studies.
The capstone course for all of the science majors’ programs is Senior Seminar (BIO 444/CHE 444), which meets during the fall and spring semesters of the senior year.
All science majors attend the same course.
Senior Seminar aims to meet several important objectives, which include:
- Providing a culminating experience which integrates the undergraduate academic program with career endeavors
- Encouraging students to take advantage of available services and strategies for career planning and post-baccalaureate educational opportunities
- Encouraging students to use their knowledge of science to explore and develop a topic of their own choice in some depth
Where possible, this will involve an independent undergraduate research project where students work under the supervision of a faculty member at Cabrini
- Providing students with opportunities for written, spoken, and graphic presentations of research materials
- Encouraging collegial interactions among students and faculty through honors conference participation, poster presentation, and oral defense
- Attending a series of seminars where faculty and invited speakers present results of their research for review and discussion by students