Secondary Education Certification in Biology
Biology majors who plan to teach can complete a concentration in secondary education.
Students intending to earn Secondary Education Certification in Biology must take:
- BIO 248 - Biological Applications of Earth Science
(as part of their BIO electives)
- BIO 489 as part of their Secondary Education major requirements
Students not selecting the Biological Sciences track must also take BIO 231 or BIO 301 (Physiology requirement) and BIO 348, Ecology, as part of their track or as free electives to meet Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) content requirements.
- Secondary Education double majors are eligible to take SEC 490 in place of BIO 488 or R-BIO 466.
- Students can prepare to teach a content area on the secondary level (grades 7‑12).
- Credit for student teaching and practicum is granted on a pass/fail basis.
Students take a professional sequence of education courses and participate in secondary school field experiences.