Secondary Education Certification
In cooperation with other academic departments, students can prepare to teach a content area on the secondary level (grades 7‑12).
Majors include Biology,* Chemistry,* Communication, English, Mathematics, and Social Studies (with a concentration in History).
*These programs are not accepting incoming students as new majors.
- Students who major in Spanish may get PK–12 certification in cooperation with Eastern University and must take three credits of linguistics in addition to the 39 credits listed here.
Students take a professional sequence of education courses and participate in secondary school field experiences.
Requirements for Secondary Education Certification
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- EDF 290 - Education Field Experience
- EDF 390 - English Language Learner Field Experience
- EDF 391 - Inclusion/Special Education Field Experience
- EDU 304 - Foundations of Education
- EDU 390 - Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Theory to Practice
- SPE 110 - Introduction to Developmental Psychology and Learning Theory
- SPE 302 - Assessment I
- SPE 320 - Instructional Strategies for Learners with Diverse Needs
- SEC 303 - Communication in Content Areas
- SEC 389 - Seminar in Secondary Education (4 credits)
- SEC 402 - Senior Field (2 credits)
- SEC 490 - Student Teaching (12 credits)
Total credits for certification: 39
- Certification credit hour requirements may cause a student to exceed degree credit hour requirements.
- Students should read the Field Experience Handbook to determine specific requirements and consult with the secondary education coordinator and the Teacher Education Department Chair.
- Education majors must meet Pennsylvania Department of Education testing requirements.
*This program is not accepting incoming students as new majors.