Graphic Design and Fine Arts Department
The Graphic Design and Fine Arts Department prepares students for a world where aesthetics and computer graphics have become increasingly important. Students have the opportunity to produce advanced computer graphics and multimedia presentations, providing a realistic work experience.
The professional Apple computer labs allow students hands-on experience using the same equipment and software found in design studios around the world. The combination of the computer lab, video production studio, and radio broadcasting facility—all within the same department—offers the opportunity to explore multimedia technology.
Cabrini’s state-of-the-art facilities were built to accommodate digital, interconnected media. The Hamilton Family Communication Center connects more than 250 students in journalism, video, radio, graphic design, and other communication courses.
All department computers have Adobe Creative Suite installed—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash Professional, Flash Catalyst, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Acrobat Professional—as well as Quicktime and Sound Studio for video and sound editing.
Graphic Design majors can go into careers in:
- Publication design for magazines, newspapers, and books
- Corporate design for brochures, posters, and fliers
- Packaging design for product labels
- Advertising design for print ads
- Environmental design and architectural signage
- Web graphic design and motion graphics
The American Institute for Graphic Arts (AIGA) is the professional association for design. AIGA stimulates thinking about design, demonstrates the value of design, and empowers the success of designers at each stage of their careers. Cabrini’s AIGA members take trips to design companies, printing presses, exhibitions, films, lectures, networking events, and more.
Career Resources, Organizations, and Publications
- What is Graphic Design?
- Designers at Work: What do professional designers really do?
AIGA Career Guide
- UCDA-University and College Designers Association - ucda.com
- Graphic Artist Guild - www.gag.org
- Communication Arts - www.commarts.com
- Graphis - www.graphis.com
- HOW - www.howdesign.com
- I.D. - www.idonline.com
- Print - www.printmag.com