Sports Communication Minor
Work in sports media for your favorite team after graduation!
Combine Cabrini University's new 18-credit Sports Communication minor with a major in Digital Communication & Social Media to land a job you'll love as a comm professional in the sports industry.
Today's sports organizations have to think beyond the game. Fans are hungry for a 24/7, 365-day relationship with the players and teams they love. This relationship is built through online and social media interaction that grabs attention, keeps fans engaged, and drives fan loyalty.
Be the person with these technology-enabled skills and you will be in-demand after graduation. Declare this combination major + minor today by emailing the Communication Department chairperson.
Requirements for the Minor in Sports Communication:
(all courses three credits unless otherwise noted)
- COM 255 – Sports, Media & Society
- COM 257 – Sports Communication
- COM 275 – Multimedia Story Creation
- COM 232 – Social Media for Strategic Communication
- COM 359 – Sports Communication Practicum (1 credit)
PICK ONE 3-credit HUMANITIES/SOCIAL SCIENCE COURSE
- AST/GBS 278 – Playing Like a Girl: Women & Sports
- BLK 378 – Baseball & the Negro Leagues
- PHI 225 – Philosophy of Spor
- PSY 299 – Sport Psychology
- RELS 310 – Sports & Spirituality
PICK TWO 1-Credit PROFESSIONAL SKILL BUILDING COURSES
- COM 391 – Radio Practicum
- COM 338 – Play-by-Play Sports Announcing
- COM 339 – Fan Relationship Through Digital Strategies
Total Credits for the Minor: 18
Special Features of the Sports Communication Minor
SPEAKER SERIES: The minor features a Speaker Series where you will meet and interact with industry leaders from some of the largest sports centers in the nation to learn about the profession and position yourself for internships and job opportunities upon graduation.
HANDS-ON CURRICULUM: In the combined DigiCOM & Social Media major and Sports Communication minor, you will take a number of hands-on courses where you’ll produce your own sports media content. As such, you’ll build an impressive portfolio of sports media that will impress employers.
DIVISION III PARTNERSHIP: As a student in the minor, you will work for the Cabrini Athletics Department broadcasting and producing content for the university’s NCAA Division III sports teams. You will call live games, produce multimedia story packages, post social media content, and more.