The Communication major at Cabrini University is the best choice for students who want to study Communication but cannot complete the 52 – 57 credit hours required for the Digital Communication and Social Media degree. This may be because they have transferred into the school/department with too few needed credit hours remaining to meet the degree requirements, or because they want to double major with Communication and another discipline.
In all other cases, the Communication Department recommends that students pursue the Digital Communication and Social Media major because it best prepares them for the digital media work they will be asked to perform in their job roles after graduation.
The Communication major bears resemblance to the Digital Communication and Social Media major in many of its course requirements; however, it does not necessitate that students take advanced media courses or those with a social media focus. In this way, the Communication major is 40 total credits, leaving room for students to double major or stay on track for graduation as a transfer student.
Note that the Communication major, just as the Digital Communication and Social Media major, emphasizes career development and internships, as well as communicating for the Common Good.
Finally, students majoring in Communication can pursue certification in secondary education that will prepare them to teach in a high school setting.
Requirements for the Major in Communication
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- COM 101 – Introduction to Media Communication
- COM 250 – Journalism 1: Reporting and Writing (4 credits)
- COM 251 – Journalism 1: Digital/Web Editing and Production (4 credits)
- COM 270 – Video Production (4 credits)
- COM 275 – Multimedia Story Creation
- COM 232 – Social Media for Strategic Communication OR COM 369 – Integrated Marketing Communication
- COM electives (9 credits; e.g., Digital Audio for Media, Event Photography, Sports Communication, Presentation Communication, Research for Communication, etc.)
- COM 103, 203, 303, 403 – Communication Professional Development (half credit per semester; 4 credits total)
- COM 487 – Career Preparation & Job Search Techniques
- COM 472 – Senior Convergence Capstone Project
Total Credits for Major: 40
Internship: Three credits of internship may be applied toward fulfilling major requirements in communication.
- QPA of 2.33 required in communication
- No course with a grade of 'C-' or lower is counted toward the major.
Communication majors will:
- achieve the ability to communicate in multiple media (Multimedia Learning)
- promote understanding, compassion, and action for the common good through their media creations (Social Justice Learning)
- articulate their transferable and professional skills, supported by examples of their attainment (Professional Skills Learning)
- attain a superior level of competency in written communication (Writing Learning)
- achieve competency in Communication Project Management (Project Management Learning)