Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care Certificate
Cabrini University’s Social Work Department offers a Certificate in Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care. This 12-credit certificate is open to all undergraduate students in all majors, as it provides the foundational knowledge and competencies for those interested in integrating trauma-informed healing and care into their professional development. The program cultivates students to be trauma-informed professionals who are willing and skilled to prevent and address the impact of trauma, benefitting the communities they serve. The certificate is housed within the Social Work Department and is made possible by the generous support of the Barbara and John Jordan Center for Children of Trauma and Domestic Violence Education.
Students who complete the Certificate in Trauma & Trauma-Informed Care will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Develop an interdisciplinary understanding of the definitions, prevalence, causes, and symptomatology of the various types of trauma experienced by individuals, groups and communities.
- Understand the impact of trauma and traumatic experiences across the lifespan as well as the persistent and chronic impact of oppression-induced trauma.
- Understand the theoretical basis and practical application of a strengths-based approach to trauma-informed care in various disciplines
- Apply critical thinking and professional judgment to recognize the values and ethics involved in the identification, treatment/intervention/ support, and prevention of trauma.
- Learn guidelines for making sound professional and ethical judgments in working with individuals, groups and communities impacted by trauma.
Required Credits: 12 (4 courses)
- SOW 105, 3 credits
Impact of Trauma Across the Lifespan
- SOW 106, 3 credits
- Electives, 6 credits
Any 2 courses from the following list:
- SOW 212 Family Violence
- SOW 344 Crisis Intervention
- PSY 345 Understanding Trauma
- CRM 313 Victimology
- CRM 345 Mental Health in the Criminal Justice System
- CRM 301 Hate Crimes
- ECG 100 Impact Witness Domestic Violence
- ECG 200 Rethinking Addiction
- ECG 200 Human Trafficking
- ECG 300 Dating and Domestic Violence
- GBS 250 Intro to Body Studies
- ENG 341 In My Body