Mathematics Major with Teaching Certification
For teaching certification, 39 credits are required in professional education courses.
Specific requirements are found in the secondary education section.
Requirements for the Major in Mathematics for Students Seeking Certification
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- MAT 131 - Calculus II (4 credits)
- MAT 201 - Introduction to Linear Algebra
- MAT 215 - Discrete Mathematics
- MAT 221 - Introduction to Mathematical Proofs
- MAT 222 - History of Mathematics
- MAT 225 - Introduction to Technology in Mathematics (1 credit)
- MAT 230 - Calculus III (4 credits)
- MAT 231 - Differential Equations (4 credits)
- MAT 301 - Abstract Algebra
- MAT 313 - Probability and Statistics (4 credits)
- MAT 407 - Geometry
- MAT 470 - Capstone
- CIS 195 - Introduction to Programming
- PHY 112 - University Physics II (4 credits)
- Math Elective (3 credits) - one mathematics course of at least 3 credits at the 200 level or higher
Total Credits for Major: 48
Students must take MAT 130 as their Quantitative Literacy requirement for the Core, unless they place into a higher-level course.
Students must take PHY 111 with the laboratory as their Scientific Literacy requirement for the Core.
- Overall GPA of 2.0 in all required courses
If the GPA falls below this, the student is placed on probation by the department and has one semester to increase the GPA to the minimum standard. Failing this, the student will be dismissed from the program unless he or she gets an extension from the department chair.
- No grade lower than a C- in a mathematics course will count toward fulfilling the requirements of the major.