Department of Educational Leadership
The Department of Educational Leadership hosts the Doctor of Education (EdD), an advanced degree for post-master’s degree students seeking to become scholars and leaders in their respective fields of education through the attainment of a doctoral degree.
The EdD is founded on the mission of Cabrini University and is designed to reflect the core values that emanate from the life of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, the charism of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart, and the Catholic educational tradition. Cabrini University’s mission and its focus on social justice permeate the program’s content, signature assignments, and assessment protocols.
Both programs are offered via a cohort model, which provides the opportunity for networking with colleagues and an exchange of experiences and knowledge, or students can proceed through the coursework at their own pace. Each modality gives the flexibility to balance work, family, and other life demands. Students in the hybrid program spend time on Cabrini’s campus in Radnor interacting with peers and faculty members.
Doctoral Program Goal
The goal of the Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership Program at Cabrini University is to develop scholarly leaders in the field of education who lead for the Common Good and whose decisions reflect sound research-based inquiry and whose actions promote social justice to transform education both locally and globally.
The mission of the Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership Program is to develop knowledgeable and skilled scholarly leaders committed to social justice and academic excellence who serve in educational institutions and agencies and whose actions reflect practices that contribute to the Common Good and the betterment of education for all students within a global society.
A professional doctorate in education from Cabrini University:
- Is framed around questions of equity, ethics, and social justice to bring about solutions to complex problems of policy and practice.
- Prepares leaders who can construct and apply knowledge to make a positive difference in the lives of individuals, families, organizations, and communities.
- Provides opportunities for candidates to develop and demonstrate collaboration and communication skills to work with diverse communities and to build partnerships.
- Is grounded in and develops a professional knowledge base that integrates both practical and research knowledge, that links theory with systemic and systematic inquiry.
- Emphasizes the generation, transformation, and use of professional knowledge and practice.
- Fosters intellectual curiosity and inquiry through the research process.
The program is comprised of a common core of foundational leadership courses designed to develop a deep knowledge of theory and leadership in education based on social justice; concentration courses to develop the specialized knowledge and skills needed for a chosen area of study; and the requisite research and dissertation courses to conduct original research to promote social justice and academic excellence for the betterment of education.
The program offers the following concentrations:
- PK-12 District Leadership with Pennsylvania Superintendent Letter of Eligibility
- PK-12 School Leadership with Pennsylvania Administrative I Certification
- Curriculum and Instruction Leadership with optional Pennsylvania Curriculum and Instruction Supervisory certificate
- Higher Education Leadership
- Educational Leadership (general, non-certificate)
Questions? Please contact us for more information!