English as a Second Language (ESL) Certification without Master of Education
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Certificate Program is taught by expert and experienced faculty who weave relevant readings, reflective writing, discussion, practical experience and considerations of educational equity and social justice into each class.
The program has been designed to meet the needs of busy working adults. It can be completed in one year of full -time study or over several years.
Classes are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters and candidates can enter the program at any point throughout the year.
(all courses 3 credits unless noted)
- GESL 510 - Language Learning and Linguistics
- GESL 520 - Language, Culture, and Community
- GESL 530 - Assessment of English Language Learners
- GESL 540 - School Leadership, Social Justice and Advocacy
- GESL 580 - Action Research, Reflective Practice, and Portfolio Development for ESL Teachers
- GESL 590 - Practicum in Teaching and Assessment of English Language Learners
Total credits for ESL Certification: 18
Students may complete the Master of Education with ESL Certification by completing an additional four courses (12 credits):
- EDG 501 - Educational Research
- EDG 521 - Socio-Cultural Foundations of Education
- EDG 540 - Philosophical Foundations of Education
- EDG 546 - Teaching ESL in Inclusive Classrooms
Students may transfer a total of six graduate credits to fulfill electives for the MEd.
After admittance, all classes must be taken at Cabrini.
Foreign applicants must provide evidence of having passed ACTFL test “English Language OPI.”