Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta (STD) is the national honor society for English, and Cabrini’s chapter is Alpha Phi Kappa. Its purpose is to recognize and promote excellence in the study of English and Writing.
Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society, was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
The Society strives to
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy. With over 900 active chapters located in the United States and abroad, there are more than 1,000 Faculty Advisors, and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
- On a national level, STD publishes its annual journal, Sigma Tau Delta, as a showcase of some of the best creative and critical writing by our members.
- In addition, the national organization awards several publication prizes and scholarships each year.
Members of STD are majors or minors in English. All members must present an initiation paper on a literary topic or of a creative nature.
- Undergraduates must be in the upper 35 percent of their class in cumulative grade average and have attained at least a B+ average in at least 12 credit hours of literature and all prerequisites thereto.
- Graduate students must have an A- average and completed one semester.
Benefits of membership include the following:
- recognition at Spring Departmental Honors event
- an item for your resumé
- points on the Federal Service Entrance Examination
- opportunity to publish works in the literary journal
- a membership lapel pin, honor cords for graduation, and a certificate suitable for framing
For more information about the Alpha Phi Kappa chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, please contact:
- Marilyn L. Johnson, PhD
610.902.8362 or firstname.lastname@example.org.