Phi Sigma Iota
Phi Sigma Iota (Gamma Xi chapter) is Cabrini’s chapter of the honor society for foreign language.
Members believe that:
- A discerning and sympathetic understanding of the peoples of the world is essential to the welfare of humanity.
- Peace among nations and international amity are dependent upon an altruistic willingness to appreciate the character, the ideals, and the culture and civilization of other countries.
- The study of foreign languages is one of the best means of contributing to such an understanding.
- A broad study of foreign culture is also essential to an adequate comprehension of other races and peoples.
- It is our duty as world citizens to learn all we can about foreign peoples and to strive to judge their achievements objectively, fairly, and tolerantly.
- It is our obligation to disseminate our knowledge and informed judgment of foreign peoples as widely as possible to further international understanding.
- It is incumbent upon us to attempt to inspire in others a desire to study the language, literature, and other cultural manifestations of foreign peoples.
Membership is open to students who:
- pursue a concentration of foreign languages
- maintain a B average
- have completed at least one foreign language course at the 300 level