Cabrini College

              Archives  

     Presidents of Cabrini College (1967-1972)


At the end of Mother Ursula's 10 years in office, academic dean, Sr. Barbara Leonardo, became acting president for the 1967-68 school year.   Sr. Barbara initiated the office of public relations and brought in the first lay members to the board of trustees.  She first came to Cabrini in 1958 as a member of the history department faculty and taught in that capacity for 5 years.  then, in 1963, she served as academic dean at Cabrini.  The next few years Sr. Barbara was in educational administrative positions in California, New Orleans and New York, then was called back again to Cabrini as academic dean in 1967.                                                                       

 

 

 

 

 

The following year saw Sr. Gervase Lapadula as president.  Under her, the administrative structure of the college was reorganized and the office of development began.  At the end of the academic year, poor health caused Sr. Gervase to resign.

 

 

 

In September of 1969, Sr. Regina Casey was appointed president for a 5-year term, with the possibility of extending the time frame.  In the beginning of 1970, the charter was changed under President Casey's recommendation, to allow  Cabrini to become a co-educational college.  An exchange program with Eastern College started the same year, providing more course offerings and bringing in the first male students to campus.       

The same year that Sr. Casey began her presidency, a new  women's dormitory, Woodcrest, was opened. 

 

Woodcrest lounge was a popular place for all in the early 1970s.  The painting seen on the right of this photograph, Zhivago, was a gift of the class of 1969 and was presented by their class president, Margrit Boyle (now Corcoran), at the dedication of Woodcrest in November of 1969.

 

 

 

This publication masthead tells of the new evening division  which gave students an opportunity to work toward a degree for  professional advancement and/or for personal enrichment.  Cabrini also attracted transfer students from community colleges for degree completion.

 

Sr. Regina Casey was called to Rome in 1972 upon being elected superior general of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart.  Sr. Regina was the first native-born citizen to head the sponsoring religious order of Cabrini College.  (St. Frances Cabrini founded this order in 1880).  The campus would miss their apt leader, but Sr. Regina and her new administrative team proved to be a welcomed asset, believing in Cabrini College's future and in its mission.

 

Informational sources:

Casey, R. (1992, Spring).  A time of transition. Comment, p. 5,6.

Dean, Duenna, Don. (1970, Winter).  Comment, p.3,5.

Evening Division. (1970, January).  Copy editor.

Sister Regina, former president, heads world -wide sisterhood. (1972, Fall).  Comment, p.1,2.

Woodcrest Hall dedicated. (1969, Winter).  Comment, p.1.

 

Back to Cabrini College Archives home page

Back to Library Home Page

   Last revision:  May 14, 2004


Cabrini College Archives

Holy Spirit Library

610 King of Prussia Road, Radnor PA 19087

(610) 902-8538