Installing Symantec Antivirus (Windows 8)
Do you already have antivirus software installed?
If you already have Symantec provided by Cabrini College ITR installed on your computer, you just need to run LiveUpdate; you do not need to reinstall the antivirus software.
If you have any other antivirus software, you must uninstall it and then install Symantec with the instructions below.
Downloading and Installing Symantec
Before downloading you'll need to know if your computer is 64-bit or 32-bit. Not sure which you have? You probably have 64-bit. To double-check, right-click anywhere on the Metro Start page and select All Apps on the bottom right of the screen, choose Control Panel, choose System and Security, then choose System; the information is located in the middle of the window next to System Type.
- Download the file: Click here for 64-bit, or click here for 32-bit. (requires domain log-in that isn't expired).
- Locate the installation file (the name starts with "WindowsSymantec") in your Downloads folder by moving your mouse to the bottom right of the screen, selecting Start to enter the regular desktop mode, clicking the folder icon (File Explorer) on the bottom left, then clicking Downloads under Favorites on the left.
- Right-click the file, then Run as Administrator.
- If alerted that the Windows SmartScreen cannot be reached right now, press the Run anyway button to continue.
- If prompted, press Allow, Run, Yes, or Continue to install.
- The Symantec Endpoint Protection install will take several minutes to complete and will run a LiveUpdate automatically.
- If the installation is successful, Symantec may prompt you to run LiveUpdate or restart your computer. Complete those instructions.
- If you do not see a yellow shield in the bottom right of your screen near the clock after restarting, Symantec probably did not install correctly. (Note: you may need to click an arrow near the clock to show the yellow shield). Call the ITR office at 610-902-8366 for assistance or stop by our office in Founders Hall 108.