Administrative Rights Policy
Limiting rights on computer systems is a proven method for securing networks and mitigating risk. There are instances where elevated rights are necessary and this policy will address the methods of securing those rights.
This policy applies to all employees of Cabrini College and information technology machines owned by Cabrini College.
Statement of Policy
Administrative rights on a local machine shall be granted through process described below. Need for updates or software installations are not criteria, those will be handled by the ITR department.
Criteria (all must be fulfilled)
- One of these:
- The user must utilize a work-related application that requires administrative privileges to operate.
- The user often works off-campus with a laptop computer.
- The department chair or Dean must submit approval; described below.
- The Director of ITR approves the action in consultation with the applicable Dean.
- Individual must sign the Administrative Rights Option and Responsibility Agreement.
Administrative rights on a local machine are subject to removal without notice.
To request local administrative rights:
- The department chair or a dean must submit a Service Desk support request with the following information:
- Enter "Administrative Rights Request" as subject.
- List the name and username of the user that is requesting administrative rights.
- List the start and end date for requested access.
- List the reason(s) why the user needs administrative rights (include as much detail as possible such as the software or actions the user is trying to perform).
- The approval will be decided within one week of application.
- The user must fill out and sign the Administrative Rights Form found here: Cabrini Administrative Rights Form.