Mac/PC Replacement Policy
Why does the College require PCs instead of Macs?
- Apple’s proprietary systems are often incompatible with critical systems and services in-place at Cabrini College.
- Mac laptops may cost double the cost of comparable Lenovo laptops.
- Many of the software products Cabrini supports and licenses are only available for a Windows environment or have limited capabilities on a Mac computer.
- Integration of the College’s shared network drives is problematic; Apple only recently began addressing this issue.
- Cabrini’s Learning Management System and Business Application Systems, such as Cabrini Learn, Cabrini One, Hyperion, and Banner are prone to error on Macs.
- There are significant limitations using Outlook/Exchange, such as:
- Contacts and calendars syncing issues
- Limited rules capabilities
- Limited features for the web browser-based mail client, http://exchange.cabrini.edu (e.g. Outlook Web Access)