RADNOR, Pa. (Oct. 31, 2011) – Four dozen rare metal, silver and painted ex-votos – divine votive offerings, usually to saints – are on display at the John D. Calandra Italian American Institute in New York, N.Y.
The objects, which date from 1865 to 1959, are from the personal collection of Leonard Norman Primiano, Ph.D., chair and professor of religious studies at Cabrini College.
“Graces Received: Painted and Metal Ex-Votos from Italy,” will run through April 2012 at the Calandra Institute. The exhibit will open at Cabrini College’s Holy Spirit Library in September 2012.
“Many of the metal votives take the form of an afflicted body part, such as a leg or a foot, or hearts representing the Sacred Heart of Jesus,” Dr. Primiano said. “The painting on metal and wood represent dramatic moments of intercession, be they sick bed scenes or accidents.”
An avid collector of vernacular religious art, Dr. Primiano is developer and curator of Cabrini’s Religious Folk, Popular, Liturgical Arts Collection. In 2006, he coordinated for the College the acquisition of the Don Yoder Collection of Religious Folk Art.
Dr. Primiano sits on the executive board of the American Folklore Society, and is co-producer of The Father Divine Project, a multimedia documentary and video podcast about Father Divine, Mother Divine, and the Peace Mission Movement.
For more information about the ex-voto exhibition, contact Dr. Primiano (610-902-8330, Primiano@cabrini.edu). About Cabrini College Students do extraordinary things at Cabrini College, a residential Catholic college welcoming learners of all faiths, cultures and backgrounds. Founded in 1957 by the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the College provides a transformational “education of the heart,” focusing on academic excellence, leadership development and a commitment to social justice.
Cabrini offers 1,300 full-time undergraduate students more than 30 majors, pre-professional programs, concentrations and minors. Nearly 2,000 students are in graduate studies programs at the main campus in Radnor, Pa., and at 15 off-site locations. The College’s serene 112-acre campus is located 30 minutes from Philadelphia.